What is the best way to use portable checkers?
Hyperco does not know of any portable checker that can measure rate with repeatable results. Portable checkers are adequate for general testing, and for comparing springs of 1000 lb. rate or less. When using portable checking equipment, follow these tips and it will help you get more reliable results.
- Use calibration springs and keep them for reference.
- Use a strong, sturdy frame for your equipment – one that will not bow or flex.
- Make sure the top and bottom plates are parallel.
- Inspect the checking equipment for leaks.
- Use a consistent set of operating procedures: (1) Orient the springs the same way each time and (2) Compress the springs to the pre load, do not “bleed” to it.